Monday, August 24, 2009

contact

VLA Radio Telescope, middle of nowhere, New Mexico


On the third day into my road trip I decided to take a bit of an unplanned detour. I was in Santa Fe and going to head further west when I said, what the hell, mike. you have to see this. it's perfect for your project... and low and behold it was. I got goose bumps when I saw it come into view. It is the Very Large Array Radio Telescope as seen in the movie Contact (which I've been fond of since I was 13). I was surprised to find out that the scientists do not actually listen for whatever it is they're searching for like in the movie. The movie people just made that up for dramatic effect. I spent a little over a day at this site, a bit more than I planned but the 4x5s I snapped of these babies will be spectacular. I can't wait to get them back.

No comments: